Rug Painting Party – Week 2

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Last Thursday I announced that I was joining Linda from My Crafty Home Life and a group of amazing bloggers on a three week rug painting challenge. I shared some rug inspiration pictures and detailed my plan of attack. Now today we’re talking progress -
So, the only real progress I’ve made is finding out what won’t work…
I decided to try a “paint by numbers” approach using the rug’s existing herringbone pattern.

I love how it looks, but it took me 25 minutes to paint just those 2 sections! It’s really time consuming trying to keep all of the edges perfectly even and straight. I’d say there are at least 50 more of those sections on the rug – just counting the ones I’m painting white, not including the gray sections – and I really don’t want to spend that many hours painting a kitchen rug…SOOOOO, stripes it is!
And now I’m down to one week until the final reveal - it’s rug painting crunch time!
I hope some of the other ladies are off to a better start than I am! You can check out the rest of the rug painting projects on the blogs below:

15 comments:

  1. I think the stripes will look great! :) I'm down to the wire too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, we are all procrastinating!! Stripes will be just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only taped my rug pattern and have not even begun painting, so we all seem to be in the same boat! Mid project changes are where it's at!
    Cathy @ Room Rx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right! It is soooo time consuming! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I would have choosen stripes ~ smart move!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I may be wishing I did stripes too. Looking great so far!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok, how about you cut a sponge to that chevron shape and stamp the rest? sure it will be an uneven look, but i think it would be charming.

    i've also seen someone take a decorative stencil roller and that was nice too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way it's looking now, but don't blame you a bit for wanting to move along faster!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't blame you, my rug project is taking is its own sweet time. I think stripes would be lovely, but the idea of using a chevron stamp is pretty cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a short number of weeks to get it all done but I am sure this will look stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I almost went the same direction with that rug!! I knew just looking at it I wouldn't have the patience! I bet stripes will look great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Linda is pretty persuasive and I can see that she roped you into this project! I agree...10,000 hours into a painted rug will make you start pulling your hair out! Stick with stripes :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Could you tape it off so you wouldn't have to paint so carefully? It looks so nice, but yes, I think you would go crazy if you spent that long painting your rug! Looking forward to seeing how the stripes turn out!

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every comment. Please consider following my blog too (if you don't already).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...